Sunday, March 30, 2008

Kicking Out Dairy

A reader shared the following story:
I just "happened" upon your blog tonight, and I am really glad to read it! I started with migraines in high school, and began missing a lot of school. The Dr.'s were prescribing medications that concerned me as we got into stronger and stronger ones. I had a teacher take me aside, whom I knew to also be a migraine sufferer, and she shared with me her personal triggers (dairy- mostly) and suggested I consider looking for my own triggers. Her advice was God-sent, as my migraines were easily triggered by dairy. Over time I learned how to eliminate it from my diet. I now can measure the time between migraines in years, rather than days. I appreciate this forum that allows people to share their stories and their trust in Yahweh.
Anyone else out there that has found dairy to be a problem?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter has gotten her daily migraines under control with Verapamil.

I had discouraged her from taking it as I had some very violent migraines that sent me to the ER while I was on it. I thought perhaps we had a similar genetic make-up.

I think it had to do with dosing. When it wore off, a violent migraine moved in at the same time of day...everyday.

She has not had that problem and is experiencing much relief. I'm now going to encourage my son to take it.

Cynthia said...

My last migraine was last August during a family vacation. It was horrendous, and I was in agony for over 12 hours. Even the meds the doctors prescribed did not work. WHAT could I have possibly done to trigger the migraine? DAIRY

I quit dairy, and moved over to SILK Soy milk, and never looked back. I've not had another migraine in 7 months.

Leslee Patriquin said...

Originally I thought the summer of 2009's strange wet weather and peri-menopause were responsible for my sudden and severe spike in migraines, even with my daily Topomax preventative. Not so! My recent food journal and elimination diet exercise revealed that dairy and eggs are new triggers, in addition to my already known long list of food triggers AND recently diagnosed Celiac Disease. Dairy is a well-known migraine trigger, described in a 1979 "Lancet" (British Medical Journal) article.

I'd like to know what dairy alternatives folks recommend. "Quilting Diva" recommends "Silk". Are there any other good soy milks? What about coffee cream alternatives?

folliculitis said...

My doctor recommended me a very strong medicine for migraine but not effect me because ... if you can help me find a solution to the grateful thanks from the heart ...

Anonymous said...

Ok, this comment is roughly 5 years too late, but nevertheless. I am doing Dr. Buchholz anti-migraine diet with a lot of success. The only thing he does not mention is dairy (except for the fermented dairy products). I mean simple dairy, like milk and whipping cream, organic and Carrageenan free. It causes imflammatory proceses throughout my body and also migraines. So this comment is to confirm your experience. Dairy can be a very bad migraine trigger.