Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Learning Total Reliance on God

Here's another story from a reader. We hope it encourages you.
I am 22-years-old and have suffered from severe, chronic classic migraine headaches since I was 13. Recently, they have become increasingly worse and more frequent. About two years ago, I was hit with an intense migraine during a winter retreat that I was attending with my fellowship group at college. The study was on Ruth and specifically on God's sovereignty over her entire life. The speaker asked us to think about the areas in our lives where we have difficulty accepting God's sovereignty and immediately I thought about my migraines. Within hours, I was bedridden and in serious pain, in a cabin in the middle of the woods with no medication and no one who could possiby understand how I was feeling.

Laying there, I felt totally helpless, weak, and without any control in the situation. I knew that the only person I could call upon to take over and ease my pain was Jesus Christ himself. I called, and he answered! In his mercy he was my only source of comfort and strength in those long hours. I thought about his sovereignty and the way that he used my migraine to put me in a situation where I was solely reliant on him and I was suddenly in awe of his mercy. He drew me to himself, and despite my crying out against him, he comforted me in his love. I realized that God is sovereign. I cannot deny that. And if it is in his will to allow me to suffer from migraines for the rest of my life, then so be it. He is in control which means that the migraines are a gift from him. He is using them to do his work in me. After that, I had almost an entire year's span where I was miraculously migraine free!

Since then, I have still had terrible bouts with migraines, but I do not doubt that they are in God' control. In fact, he has been using them to teach me again and again that he really is in control and that he really is all I need. I have had the wonderful prayer support of family and friends throughout this struggle to intercede on my behalf, but I trust Jesus even more with his great intercessions. And if he continues to allow me to go through the pain and suffering of migraine headaches, then I have learned to willingly and humbly accept them as a work with a greater purpose in my life.
Please take the time to share the spiritual lessons God has taught you. We'd love to share your story here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I like this blog, who posts stuff and is it a regular thing?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having this blogspot. I have suffered from clusters and now migraines for years. My uncle sent me a link to this site. The strangest thing happened the other night though. I had a horrible, and I mean horrible migraine, vomiting, etc... As I called out to the Lord to remove the pain, he didn't, but for the first time I didn't just ask for relief, I started talking to him. I was actually thankful for the migraine as it brought me to him and allowed me to have a quiet time with him when I had been allowing life too much of my time and not giving enough to him. I know that sounds strange, but maybe not to you from what I read in your last blog. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I have been suffering in the migraine for the past 3 years... This really affects my work life..but I believe in the Lord he will give me full relief from this problem..I have changed my job recently..everyone in my office told u can't go and work with ur migraine but I told I believe in my Lord he will give me strength..