Saturday, October 27, 2007

Migraine Triggers

I first read about "migraine triggers" in a Time article seven years ago. Before that I had never heard that food caused headaches. That was the beginning of an ongoing learning process. My knowledge has grown and my dietary options have dwindled! Thankfully the number of headaches I get has also decreased.

Here's a helpful list of the most common food and lifestyle triggers provided by WebMD:
  • Stress (either during a stressful time or right after stress subsides).
  • Menstrual cycle in women.
  • Too much or too little sleep.
  • Fasting or skipping meals.
  • Changes in barometric pressure and weather.
  • Bright light or reflected sunlight.
  • Foods such as chocolate.
  • Excessive caffeine or caffeine withdrawal.
  • Smoking or being around someone who smokes.
  • Other migraine triggers include:
  • Strong emotions, such as depression or anxiety.
  • Physical exercise.
  • Alcohol, such as red wine and port.
  • Aspartame, an artificial sweetener that is found in diet sodas, light yogurts, and other sugar-free foods.
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG), a seasoning that is often found in Chinese food, meats, and other foods.
  • Nitrates, which are found in cured meats such as hot dogs, bacon, and cold cuts.
  • Tyramines, which are found in pickled or marinated foods, aged cheeses, and yeast.
  • Birth control pills and hormone therapy.
  • Certain medications, especially those that dilate blood vessels.
  • Overuse of headache pain medications, leading to rebound headaches.
  • Bright lights, glare, reflected sunlight, or other intense visual stimuli.
  • Odors such as perfume, paint, dust, and certain flowers.
In the days to come on Manage Your Migraines we'll be compiling more detailed lists of both dietary, environmental and behavioral triggers.

Your Turn: Anything on this list that's particularly bad for you? Anything missing? We'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I come from a family of migraine sufferers. For at least four generations, the women of my mothers family have struggled against the painful condition. I got my first migraine in the 5th grade, and was terrified.

I am now 33 and, by the grace of God, I don't have migraines anymore. The last one I had was in May of 2006, and it was the first I had had in a very long time, and was brought on by a very specific set of circumstances.

For me, getting rid of migraines consisted of changing my diet (I am a vegan, and have experienced myriad health benefits from it, and don't feel the least bit deprived), managing my stress (spirituality played a large role here - learning how to turn to Christ in my struggles, instead of internalizing them), getting enough sleep, and eliminating certain "trigger foods" (particularly caffeine - none at all, ever, and chocolate only on rare occasions). These, along with a few other things, completely "cured" me of migraine headaches. I was the only member of my family to beat them, until I convinced my Mom to apply the same principles. Now, as long as we stick to the program, we are migraine free.

I feel so blessed that God has graciously shown me a way out, and empathize with those who are still suffering. A great first step is to attend a "cleanse program" such as Cedarbrook Home, Hallelujah Acres, Lifestyle Center of America, Bella Vita, NEWSTART at The Weimar Institute, or Uchee Pines, which are all Christian based. There are many more, but these are among the best.
Blessings!
Ruth